It is not with the lyre of someone in love that I go seducing people. The rattle of the leper is what sings in my hands. Jane Kenyon

Monday, November 27, 2006

M I R R O R I N G

 
(Paper Batik MOntage, Entitled "Poetry, The Mirror")

On The Fifth Day......

M I R R O R I N G

"The furies are at home / in the mirror; it is their address. /
Your face approaching ever / so friendly is the white flag /
they ignore. There is no truce / with the furies. A mirror...
is a chalice held out to you in / silent communion, where gaspingly /
you partake of a shifting / identity never your own."
R.S.Thomas


1. Kaleidoscope

You look at the kaleidoscope,
the pieces of coloured glass
are metaphors and whichever way
the tube of life is shaken,
the mirrors of poetry will rearrange
the shards and make of brokenness
a picture that catches more
than a child's fancy.

2. Infinity

Ensconced in a barber's chair
I see in front mirror
my reflection created in the image
of God. This is the law
of physics working. When my gaze
is not on myself, I see in front
and back mirrors, my reflections
creating an image of God.
This then is poetry
where the law of physics
is multiplied infinitely.

3. Dwarf

Is poetry not the mirror
on the wall I look into
expecting commendation for my snow-
white complexion, receiving instead
disapproval for my stepmother
scowl? I think myself
princess until the cloud
of my apple breath clears
from the mirror and I see
clearly the dwarf I am! Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Plus Ultra said...

This is the fifth poem in a series of seven where I explore the creating and working of poetry. This is the fifth day, the day where I ask myself "Why Do I Write?" Very often my answer is "Self Examination". The unexamined life, someone (was it Aristotle?) said, is not worth living!Poetry is a mirror where I see beyond my external, deep to where God dwells and where lies and falsehoods cannot inhabit...There are two poems about mirrors which have influenced me profoundly, "Reflections" by RS Thomas which I quote here and the other is "Mirror" (I hope I got the title right) by Sylvia Plath. I hope you, my loyal blog-friend will enjoy this trilogy, I like the last one best, it came to me in a flash and I had the poem on paper in just a few minutes (Not Me, but AN Other!) And then there will be the sixth day and then the Seventh! Happy blogging! May your blog be the mirror you look into!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Ng, This is a most intriguing piece. Indeed, the entire concept of the series is extraordinary!

What more can I add in these comments? Sometimes I think I ought to just link to an on-line theasaurus for all the words I'd like to say to you. Mine won't suffice. Just know that I think your artwork is glorious, your words are deep and far-reaching.

This part of your commentary struck me: "deep to where God dwells and where lies and falsehoods cannot inhabit". Would that more people approached their poetry, and indeed their lives, with such honesty.

You've got a fan in me.

Aurora

serenity said...

Beautiful prose, beautiful artwork.

You are such an inspiration. The beauty that flows through you is such a gift to those of us fortunate enough to click through and be the beneficiaries of what flows through you, what is created through you. Thank you so much for the generosity you display in sharing your talents and gifts with all of us.

Unknown said...

Hi Kianseng,

Please put me on your blog:

Poetry: http://poetecstasy.blogspot.com

Prose

http://johnpmathew.blogspot.com

Best wishes

John

Pat Paulk said...

Wonderfully "reflective"!! Everywhere we turn there are mirrors.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Pat, because I was about to say that it was very reflective. Also, that a lot of things we do are reflective of ourselves and the reflections is not always the same between what other people see and what we see.

Amalendu said...

wonderful Dr. Ng...I enjoyed reading the Infinity....

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

PLus Ultra...this is so powerful: "Is poetry not the mirror
on the wall I look into
expecting commendation for my snow-
white complexion, receiving instead
disapproval for my stepmother
scowl? I think myself
princess until the cloud
of my apple breath clears
from the mirror and I see
clearly the dwarf I am!"

Nicely done!

Plus Ultra said...

Great news, a "lost " friend-poet came to my blog and then email me! He is Aaron Lee, a lawyer-poet from Singapore and I quoted him at the beginning of this series at the first day...what a delight to link up with him again! Thanks Aaron, my warmest regards to your parents!!!

Borut said...

Yes, from the dwarf-like image in the mirror of self-reflections, shattered in the poetic kaleidoscope of infinity, to the man made in the image of God creating an image of God. The Work of Poetry. The batik trapped my attention. Somebody hiding behind the scene… Powerful work of art!

S.L. Corsua said...

I have the utmost respect for the candor in your poetry. "Dwarf" is such a profound unmasking of sorts -- such revelation. ^_^

p.s.
I second Borut's observation with regard to the batik. I see an eye (looking sideways to 'its left' peripheral side) on the left portion of the image. Mysterious, and rendered a slight chill to my arms. ^_^

Anonymous said...

hey plus,
"dwarf" is awesome! i have been reading and rereading it. sometimes we really need to take a good hard look at ourselves before we can find our true selves.

and yes, some of my better writings were also finished in a flash. the muse? :)

Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Interesting that the last one is also my favourite of this 3-some..hah! Honey, no more of that stepmother-scowling please, to me you're all princess!