It is not with the lyre of someone in love that I go seducing people. The rattle of the leper is what sings in my hands. Jane Kenyon

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Room

Victoria was silent for a long time. `Science tells me
God must exist. My mind tells me I will never
understand God. And my heart tells me I am not
meant to.’
From “Angels & Demons”
By Dan Brown



I’m tenant in this room
that is bigger than the house
I own, it is as large
as a garden, like Eden
before the twig of Adam’s
rib became a sprig of dragon
fruit.

It is bigger than Good
Friday darkness, its dimensions
measured by the light stealing
through the torn will
of the temple of my mind.

It is bigger than emptiness,
bigger than the unoccupied
heart, yet this same heart
when inhabited by One becomes
as large as this room.






The walls are the compass
points. The East to the West
wall is the distance graffiti
fled when it is erased
by the hand that makes
walls from the first stones
we cast at those who commit
adultery in their minds

The floor is made
for walking, when I walked
every tile, I have traveled
the circumference of the equator
but I have not reached
the heart of the room
until I walk the next
mile.

This room is located
far away, at the line
where sky meets sea, also
nearby at the line
where foot meets sea,
the near line further
than the far line.

This room is not
a dream, yet you need
to dream to reach its door
and arriving you will not believe
it is not a dream
and that the door
is the door of your heart!

No comments: