It is not with the lyre of someone in love that I go seducing people. The rattle of the leper is what sings in my hands. Jane Kenyon

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Prayer

"Most of my time at prayer, I am not so
much talking to God or listening to God as I
am just thinking but doing so with God
in mind."
M. Scott Peck

It is like a window through
which I catch glimpses
of the heavens, the stars punctuating
the silence of the night, the cursive
writing of the clouds on the wall
of the sky, the invisible scaffold
holding aloft the moon
& the sun. Sometimes God looks in,
sees the hidden world
of my bed-room, the sea
of unmade bed, the Everest
of books I have not scaled, the cliff
of curtains hiding dreams.

Glancing out, peeping in, each view
a postcard until I no longer
look for pictures but persons, then
the wall is wholly window
& I'm truly praying.

No comments: