It is not with the lyre of someone in love that I go seducing people. The rattle of the leper is what sings in my hands. Jane Kenyon

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Naomi, My First Grandchild

"She caught the moment
of happiness. A butterfly
flew in the sun."
George Bruce

The shedding of chrysalis clothing,
a sudden butterfly flutters
my heart, a new life
making complete the metamorphosis
of my own.........................

Your first cry is a piping,
a tartan song with Loch
Lomond lyrics. From cocoon
of white, you signal to us
with the antennae of fingers
as if to say, "The code
of a new language is easily
broken by the cipher
of love!" Again and again
the petals of your lips
break into pollens of smiles,
the day's weather forecast
of the Spring you bring
into our lives..............

I pause to drink deeply
the nectar of this moment...

12.53 pm, 8 May 04
Spring, Glasgow

No comments: